Monday, May 23, 2011

City of the week: Havana

All the photos were taken by me (except the ones I'm in)I have been so blessed as to see this amazing city for myself in december 2010.










This is by far the most beautiful place I've been to. And not beautiful in the conventional sense but more that the beauty is in that which ordinary eyes might deem old and broken down. Not only is Havana full of energy and culture but the people (despite there not being much money in their pockets) are super friendly and always up for a good time. They have strong family values which is apparent in the small things, like them spending New Year's eve indoors with relatives.


People who know me, know I'm a big fiend for Cuban Jazz (hmm, another blog post idea) and have a long term relationship with The Buena Vista Social Club who I got to see play LIVE on New year's eve.

Also I have a strange obsession with Commandant Che Guevara and his homie Fidel Castro. I know the west have deemed them villians and I admit, there was some crazy in them both but I also saw something in the people that is still so eternally grateful to the revolution (there are signs and flags everywhere) and Che is a national hero. It was awesome seeing where Che won various battles against the then government.


This whole trip was full of bucket-list moments. Can't wait to go back!


Obsessed with Havana, Cuba


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment